EU Cosmetics Regulation - The Cosmetics Products Notification Portal (CPNP)
01 March 2019
What is the CPNP
The Cosmetics Products Notification Portal (CPNP Portal) is the online notification system used for submitting certain technical compliance related information about cosmetic products. It was created as part of the implementation of Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 on cosmetic products. Its goal is to unify all EU member states and EFTA countries under one single legislation. Before bringing a cosmetic product to the market, a responsible person (RP) must notify the CPNP.
Once the information is submitted to the CNPC it becomes available to the relevant authorities.
What information is required?
In order to submit on the CPNP you need the following:
- Category of cosmetic product and its name(s)
- Name and address of the Responsible Person (RP)
- Country of origin in the case of import
- Member State in which the cosmetic product is first placed on the EU market
- Contact details of a physical person to contact in case of necessity
- Presence of substances in the form of nanomaterials
- Identification of the nano-sized substance
- Reasonably foreseeable exposure conditions
- Name and CAS number (Chemical Abstracts Services) or EC number of category 1A or 1B CMR substances (Annex to CLP Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 on classification, labelling and packaging of substances and mixtures)
- Frame formulation allowing for prompt and appropriate medical treatment in the event of difficulties
Additionally, when a cosmetic product is launched on the market, the Responsible Person must provide the European Commission with the original labelling and a photograph of the corresponding packaging.
You must submit the cosmetic product in one of the three following formats:
If the product has a standardised formula, then complete composition of the formula is not required. It is only the specific data and the exact concentration of some ingredients at risk must be provided.
The exact concentrations of every ingredient must be provided.
It is possible to use specific concentration ranges for every ingredient which does not pose any particular threat. Other ingredients will be provided with the exact concentrations. Specific data about some substances will also be provided.
Who has access to the CPNP?
European Poison Centres
Cosmetic products responsible persons
Distributors of cosmetic products
If you are interested in registering a cosmetic product in the CPNP you can contact us using the form below: